Friday, September 30, 2011

Manchester

The oldest railroad station in the world.

Brick buildings around the city.

Street signs.

I think it was a fish market at some point.

Churches and canal boats. Some of the churches are for sale.

Lovely pub dinner: stake and ale pie!

I decided to enjoy the last few days of free time before the job starts up in October. So I spent a week in England. First in Cambridge and then in Manchester. It was the first time I went to Manchester and it's not as ugly as people say. Granted I had amazing weather. It NEVER rained and it was actually hot and sunny (as you can see from the pictures). The friend I was visiting said she had never seen weather like that.

I pretty much spent the whole time there walking around the city. I really like the architecture. Most buildings date from the industrial revolution and are big and made out of red bricks. It's possible to see older buildings such as the Manchester cathedral, but not much else dates from before the industrial revolution. The first rail road station in the world is in Manchester and it was build for the Liverpool-Manchester line, now it's part of the museum of science and industry (MOSI). I have to say that I really likes MOSI. I spent a few hours there and only say a small portion of the the site and just a few exposition.

No visit to England would be complete without a proper pub dinner: a few pints of ale and a steak and ale pie with chips! We went to the oldest pub in Manchester the Old Wellington and they know how to make pies.

No comments:

Post a Comment